I don’t know about you, but one of the things I tend to crave when the cravings hit (and I should mention that they don’t come very often when you follow the paleo diet) is chocolate. So I was so happy to run across this tasty, guilt free treat to help satisfy those cravings when they hit!
I was browsing some of my fave sites today and ran across a new one so I can’t yet vouch for these, but they look delish and after reading a bit about the site’s owners and browsing their other recipes, I’m pretty excited to give this one a shot! Note that you can make them vegan by using dairy-free dark chocolate – yum!
Head on over to their site and view the orignal recipe here; http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2010/06/frozen-banana-bites.html
- 2 large bananas
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Set out a large plate or bowl with a piece of parchment or wax paper on it.
- Cut up the bananas into good-sized chunks. Each banana should give you around 5 to 6 pieces.
- Heat the peanut butter and chocolate chips in the microwave on high for about a minute. Then stir until smooth.
- Dip the banana pieces in the chocolate-peanut butter mixture. Lay them out leaving some space between them on the parchment/wax paper. Then when you've "covered" them all, use the remaining mixture to spoon over the tops (for even more chocolate-y goodness).
- Then sprinkle the unsweetened coconut flakes on top. Transfer to the freezer for about an hour until hardened.
You can enjoy them right after they're made (but they aren't frozen yet -- and when they're frozen, the banana tastes like vanilla ice cream). I suggest then covering with some plastic wrap (or really you can do all of this in some kind of Rubbermaid container) and let them freeze overnight.