This week I’ve been craving something sweet. Some days I’m stronger than the cravings, some days they’re gone, and some days my mouth waters thinking about a hunk of dark, semi sweet chocolate.
Most of my cravings are gone thanks to a grain and sugar-free diet, but occasionally my mind wins and I find myself staring at the inside of the fridge, willing it to have something that will melt in my mouth with rich, chocolate goodness. Without eggs, grains, oats and nut flours, cookies are tough and I’ve been looking for healthy alternatives to satisfy my need for sweet goodness. I’m still working on some raw options, but tonight I wanted something tasty, easy and that wouldn’t leave my belly in a sad funky state.
Then it hit me 🙂
Coconut milk is something I always have in stock; I use it in my coffee in place of milk or cream, and it makes an amazing whipped topping. So tonight, instead of making a vanilla whipped cream, I decided to throw in some raw Cocoa and sweeten it with a touch of stevia. The result was a delicious, light whipped desert that my 8 year old ended up fighting me for. I love it when he fights me over a healthy treat!
Super simple to make, and uses ingredients we always have on hand, you can whip this up anytime the urge hits. Follow these tips to keep your belly happy and healthy!
Items to keep on hand at all times:
- Full-fat Coconut Milk in the fridge (store cans upside down to make it easier to separate the thick coconut from the liquid, making your whipped treat frothier)
- Raw (unsweetened) Cocoa
- Raw stevia, honey or maple syrup (sweeteners of choice)
- Gluten-free, pure vanilla extract
- 1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1/4 Cup Raw Cocoa
- 1/2 Tsp Pure GF Vanilla Extract
- Sweetener of choice, to taste
- Open a can of Full-fat Coconut Milk and leave in fridge overnight (best for full, whipped creamy dessert).
- Pour Coconut Milk into mixing bowl.
- Add Cocoa and Vanilla Extract.
- Whip on low speed for 1-2 minutes until fully blended.
- Add sweetener of choice in 1/4 tsp doses until desired sweetness is reached.