Is there really an occasion that wouldn’t call for pie? That’s our feeling at The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe, where we make pies of the sweet and savory variety. Pies for lunch! Pies for picnics! This is also a great crust to use for quiche. They can be frozen for future use! Here’s the recipe and how-to for getting the perfect pie crust that also happens to be good for you, gluten-free…
Make a Perfect Pie Crust (that happens to be gluten free!)
- 4 Cups All Purpose GF Flour (Little Aussie Bakery Brand)
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbs Guar Gum
- 1 lb Butter (or any shortening of choice)
- 1 Tb Vinegar
- 1.5 – 2 Cups Ice Water
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Cut butter/shortening into the dry ingredients, and mix until the combined consistency is crumbly
- In a separate bowl, mix together vinegar and ICED water. Add this SLOWLY (a few tablespoons at a time) to the dry dough, kneading together until the dough binds together in a smooth consistency.
- Press the dough into pie tins immediately (do NOT refrigerate)
>>They may frozen for future use in their individually pressed pie tins
- Add pie filling and bake as directed by your pie recipe
The Top Crust Technique:
Shape a ball of dough with your hands – think of playing with playdough! – into a sphere. Then, pinch its round center with your thumbs, and move the dough outwards into a fat disk or puck shape. This pre-formed shape will ease the rolling process.
Roll the dough with a flour-dusted rolling pin (be sure to stay consistent by using GF Flour!). Then, similar to the pinching process, focus on rolling from the center of the disc moving towards the rims. This will better yield an even top crust. Roll to the circumference of your pie, then place on top!
Pinch the layers together around the pie rim, then brush the whole top with milk (use dairy free if preferred!) to brown well while baking.
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe bakes and writes for gluten-free foodies. On their blog you can find more recipes, baking insight, and information on health and wellness. Their goods can be found on the online store.