We love rice, but since we’re (mostly) grain-free, I went on a search for recipes that would satisfy us without giving up the texture of rice that was key to some of our favorite dishes. There are many versions of cauliflower rice online, but I especially loved this version.
This recipe is adapted from GirlmeetsPaleo – she’s an everyday girl, trying to make sense of a Paleo world and she often blogs about some of the recipes she tries, and she was happy to let me share this with you! I love her version of the ever-popular Cauliflower rice; she kicks up the nutrient–rich quotient and keeps the dish simple and healthy.
Many of you probably know that cauliflower is often used as a replacement for rice on the Paleo diet, but it’s often a simple version with basic spices, though I have tried to kick it up with spices, mushrooms and other veggies, though we’ve never thought to make it quite like this. And I’m so glad we did – it was a huge hit!
GirlmeetsPaleo’s version adds avocado and basil, kicking up the flavor and health benefits, so we give her extra credit for this one! You can read her post here and below for her recipe. Our only modification around here is to remove lemon as I’m allergic to it, but she claims it’s best with more, so whether you leave it in, or omit it, you have a delish dish for your next meal. And in her words: Be a goddess. Make this.
Paleo Green Goddess Cauliflower ‘Rice’
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/2 T ghee, or cooking oil of choice
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop cauliflower into florets and place in food processor.
- Pulse until cauliflower is broken up into rice sized pieces.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt ghee.
- Pour cauliflower rice into the skillet, add a pinch of salt and pepper, and sauté until cauliflower is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place avocado, basil, olive oil, 1/4 cup water and lemon juice in food processor.
- Puree until smooth, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Once cauliflower rice is cooked, remove from heat and pour green goddess mixture into skillet.
- Stir to combine and serve.3.1http://inspiredeats.net/paleo-green-goddess-cauliflower-rice/