- Food Allergies
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Almond Flour – a bakers alternative
- Celiac disease
- Gluten and cross reactive foods
- Gluten Free booze
- Gluten free children
- Gluten free resources
- How to go Gluten Free
- Is it a healthier diet?
- Potential AutoImmune Disorders
- Safe for Gluten Free Diets
- Unsafe for Gluten-free diets
- Understanding lab results
- GMO Foods & You
- Grain Free
- GF Local
- Stalk Us
- HappyBelly SHOP
Like many of us are now, I’m craving comfort foods. Perhaps its the colder weather, perhaps its the Shady Hook tragedy, but this is a time when I’m craving comfort. And for my family, comfort = a warm bowl of fresh, homemade soup.
One of my fave soups is a carrot, ginger, cashew blend that’s super easy to make and is a perfect starter soup, or as a meal on its own. We tend to have a small cup of soup before our holiday meals, and while butternut squash is another favorite, this yummy carrot, ginger soup is a great alternative. For those of you who are following a raw diet, you can juice the carrots and add 1 whole avocado. Rather than sautéing the onions and spices, simply add them to the carrot juice and blend, though you may want to add pine nuts for an enhanced nutty flavor. I’ll follow this up with a full raw version, but for now, I’m sharing the cooked version as I’m craving warmth.
Remember, the cashews give this a creamy base without the need for dairy, or dairy replacers, but if you’re nut sensitive you can swap out the cashews for a cup ‘or so’ of your dairy free milk of choice ( I would suggest full-fat coconut milk).
I hope this simple recipe gives you some much needed warmth and comfort. Make an extra batch and share with friends and family. Give the gift of loving warmth with homemade soup. Enjoy!
Gluten & Dairy- free Carrot, Ginger & Cashew Soup (paleo)
- 2 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3-4 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup ground cashews
- Crushed pecans or walnuts for toppings (if desired)
- Place the carrots in a medium saucepan and add the water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook until the carrots are very tender (10-15 minutes)
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent.
- Add ginger, garlic, salt and spices.
- Lower the heat and continue to saute for another 8-10 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Combine the spice-onion mixture with the carrots and cashews.
- Slowly add the water used to boil the carrots.
- Use a handheld immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth, adding water as needed until you reach desired thickness.
- Sprinkle with crushed pecans or walnuts if desired.
Jennifer Mansfield (332 Posts)
Hi, I'm Jen, and I launched InspiredEats after being diagnosed with several food allergies, and battling auto-immune conditions including Hashimotos, Adrenal Fatigue, Pyroluria and vitamin deficiencies. I have overcome most all conditions by following the Paleo Diet. My hope is to help so many others like me who are suffering and don't understand how to heal. That's the meaning behind my message: Eat.Heal.Thrive.
Follow us by email!
My InstagramWe ♥ our salons. #organic #salon #loveintelligentnutrients250Reflectionshyardeny00Who will join me tomorrow for World Run Day? 10 steps or 10 miles, it doesn't matter! You just go run. Comment if you'll join me and tag a friend that may be interested in joining the cause. :) Proceeds go to support those most affected by last year's events. #bostonmarathon #bostonstrong #teamathletathebalancedlife567Eye spy cookies 👀🍪 #glutenfree #vegan #cookies #easter #lovelyeasterbaskets 👍bakeology500Mmmm #mediterraneanpaleocooking #seafood #yummmbalancedbites13210#GameOfThrones time! #do512 #420 #easter #atx #meatdo512843
Search Recipes From Our Fave Allergy-free Sites
Sponsors & Such
- Photoshopped model appears on the Ellen Show and proves she has very long arms
- Review of Van’s Gluten Free Crackers, Say Cheese!
- High fructose corn syrup, GMO corn and fish bladders in 8 beers you should avoid
- Tips on safe travels for nut allergy sufferers
- How food affects our mood, and may help fight anxiety